Monday 4 October 2010

Exercise 1, Eric Ravilious


 I chose Eric Ravilious, as his documentary subject matter interested me, and the way in which he controlled his image and his messages.

His stark style distances the viewer, it doesn't generally invite an emotional response, (Brechtian?). This effect is partly because his figures are often featureless, or entirely absent. I think this reflects the time that he was working, between the wars and during the 2nd World War as a war artist. Precision of composition, colour, message, plus a use of common iconography seem to characterise much of his work. When confronting his work as a War Artist, his pictures are still very cold, devoid of an emotional response.  Almost in denial. His letters from his time with the Navy are very 'boys own' - he is excited rather than horrified, he doesn't seem to try to convey the frightening or exhilarating. His depiction of a bomb being defused was called 'rendering mines safe' but later retitled  'Dangerous work at Low Tide' - which seems to sum up his reluctance to get involved in the dirty side of war. Very British

one of many sketches and photos from my sketchbook
For his High Street Lithographs,  which can be seen by following this link.

Eric Ravilious High Street Lithographs


his colour palette was 4 (and combinations thereof), so I looked along our High Street for shops that might have been around at that time, but had a modern twist. I photographed many, some of which would have made more of a statement about the times that we live in, but I plumped for the traditional Bike Repair shop in the end.





composition sketch 
The photo had no figure so I created a Ravilious inspired figure emerging from the shop. I then broke down the colours into what would have been plates had I had the ability to do a lithograph.
I figured that as Ravilious himself only had to design the plate and then hand it over to skilled craftsmen for the Lithographic stages, this might be true to his involvement with the image!


Finished High Street Pen and Ink design

No comments:

Post a Comment