Tuesday 18 January 2011

Subjective Drawing Welly Boot

For the Subjective Drawing Exercise I chose a Welly boot, and went through various words that came to mind in my learning log.


I opted for the word 'Sludgy' in the end. It pretty much sums up the way I feel about Wellies; the mud, the wet, Sunday walks, farmyard smells, soggy TV Shoots which I have directed. Unfortunately I wasn't on the Farm or shooting anything and the weather was about to turn snowy, but we do have a small frozen backgarden in our suburban semi.. so I took a few photos and made up a moodboard from Magazine cuttings, drawings, photos etc.




I then went for a page of drawings in my sketchbook: 





Pretty sludgy, I can smell the farmyard!
 I was moving away from the sludgy idea, so I took a piece of packing paper with a strong grain (very absorbant) and used wax crayons and wash on it, greens and browns and the result is pretty mucky, if not slimy enough to be sludgy! I had another go on various different textures and with different media, and then decided to have a go when I had some more printing time, so I'll post that when I pick it up! All in all, it was interesting trying to go for one particular word, but I found it difficult to focus on one, when so many options suggested themselves to me! Here is a selection of my efforts...

watercolour paper with watercolours and pencil - the most muddy!
watercolour on wet paper - pretty wet, but not sludgy!
Just for the fun of it! A computer effort

No comments:

Post a Comment