Sunday 3 October 2010

Exercise 1, John Burningham

I looked at John Burningham's book 'Seasons', which has some very emotive images Seasons (Random House). I was impressed by the way that his illustations, in this and in other books appeal to a range of ages. I tried to copy his use of pencil, wash, ink and eventually splattering ink in the final piece, I also used cross-hatching which he uses in many of his pictures e.g. Mr Grumpy's Outing. 


My first images was of Autumn, which I then reworked to add more foreground details. I then tried Summer - eventually going back to my first image of Autumn and attempting to get a bit more of the 4 seasons in 1 day feeling of a blustery autumnal day.

This was the finished image, but I'm not sure that I don't prefer the one in my sketchbook. I do like the splatter effect though. I feel it is very autumnal.

Here I tried to add a bit more interest into it, but I found the composition a bit too busy.







And here I attempted to do a Hazy Lazy Summer Day


 Here I took on board his book 'Opposites' and did my own version. He talks about trying to have a subplot, 'Thou Shalt Not Bore' is his mantra. Here I tried to make the subplot about the little boy having a very small sandwich and being underwhelmed, and jealous of the the big boy having a massive one. Simple! Too Simple?


It may be that the simple drawings and the 'unfinished' look of some of JB's illustrations that make him appeal to this era. Maybe we like to have something a bit rough around the edges, obviously hand drawn to contrast with the slick technology that surrounds us.

(note: makes me think of Aardman Animation, who are most succesful when you can see and 'feel' the plastercine - their computer generated films are less satisfying to my mind)



Here I have illustrated a poem that my sons love in the style of John B, but with a different style of figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment