Wednesday 6 October 2010

Illustration Exercise 2

The purpose of this exercise was to extract meaning. I selected an editorial by Daisy Waugh from the Observer, describing a sack race that she competed in when staying with the Scottish Grandparents and the horrible competitive nature which overwhelmed her.

"it's a sort of non-negotiable humiliation ritual imposed on every guilty parent..."
"no matter how good her previous intentions, any plans to behave in a proper lady-in-law like fashion will be forgotten".
"The man on the Tannoy blew his starter whistle and we were off. Bounce, Bounce, bloody bounce... But I didn't panic. No, I've been here before (for more years than I care to count)... Mrs McDonnell was already down - and there went Mrs Mc Dougall... Ooh! Oops. And there went one of the sister-in-laws...
"Help!" She cried out. "Daisy, help! I've done my ankle"
"Out the bloody way!" I yelled. And bouncd on by - to victory. More or less. (I came fourth, okay?)'

sketch book page 
Despite the fact that I have a feeling that I should have chosen something a little less 'narrative' I went on - and came up with a prelimanary page of sketches.


I tried to get a range of emotions - convey the competitive nature, maybe have a few 'ladies' genuinely enjoying themselves.



 Below I considered adding a bit of Scottish Background, but then decided it would confuse the message. I also felt that the image needed a sort of 'sub-plot' - scared animals or children....

I looked back at the text and noted the conclusion to the article..
another sketch book page






"Aversion therapy reader. Must be the trick to successful child-rearing. Lead by really bad example and your children will be so appalled by your behaviour they wind up doing the opposite."

So I added some children into the left hand midground of the final image and heightened the sense of competition by having a fallen competitor steal the ribbon.
bounce bounce bloody bounce

1 comment:

  1. i love this final illustration :)
    i've just left you a note on the OCA forum re. link lists...

    ReplyDelete