Wednesday 19 January 2011

Black and White

As somebody who often works in black and white and tone, I thought that this might be quite an easy exercise, and I was surprised at how challenging it was.

I took the word 'Journey', and played with several types of drawings in my sketchbook.
Eventually I worked up 1 of the images, which had more of a metaphorical theme and using pen transfered it to an A3 image.



pen on cartridge paper

Not having easy access to a photocopier, I decided to try the exercise on the computer, so I inverted the image. 

computer generated inverted image
And then started to cut and paste - first using the 'end of the journey' as a black hole and then using it as a white light and seeing the difference that this made to the mood of the image. 

white trees - innocence?
Black trees, more threatenting, but bright path  leads the couple clearly to the end point


To put it simplistically, the figures appear innocent when they are white, as if facing a black and threatening future. When this is inverted, the figures appear more certain and confident, but the black trees are also very threatening, so the future doesn't look altogether rosy for them! The tonal images are more focused, more definite and more satisfying than the line image, which is impersonal and cold. 

I was horrified to find that both my friend, with whom I am doing the course and my husband saw something reminicent of female genitalia in the image, but now they have said it - I can't get it out of my head, so I decided to have another go. 
I also wanted to have a go at someth was less regular - where the areas of black and white were more varied. So I worked up another image.


I inverted it...
Then played with the black and white areas and am pretty happy with the results.


I'm pleased with this image, there is more to discover as you look at the image. Not sure about the white leaves on the bottom left though. Might have to go back and get rid of them. 

A bit better! I know that there are some lines still left on the image, but I felt it needed them. I wanted some white stones on the path, somehow all black would have been too regular and uninteresting. I suppose it would be worth inverting the whole thing too.


For some reason it now looks a bit like the figure is walking along a stream with a sunset. Not sure that I like this one. I think it would be better if the trees were dark too.


The result is more of a fantasy image than I predicted. It's got a sort of fairytale quality about it. 

While doing this exercise I visited Woking Lightbox where there was an exhibition of Heath Robinson Illustrations, and I found these really quite inspirational. More on this to follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment