Monday 17 January 2011

50s revisited

Here are some other bits and bobs for the 1950s image. These 3 were done from the freezes on the TV, (Mad Men, BBC4) which we later realized was based in the 1960s - hey ho! Still a worthwhile exercise!!



This image is a 2nd version - with one figure in a chair, more specifically fitted to the brief. I focussed on a young teenager, surrounded by stuff that she might use, not yet rebelling, but possibly about to! She has all the accoutrements of a modern teenager, but the phone and ipod are a bit bigger, and there's no psp, dsi or wii.



I simplified the image and scanned it into the computer



I then used the computer to add a selection of colours that my research had identified as part of the 50s colour palette.













I collaged some posters and adverts in - a pic of Marilyn Monroe and a poster of Rebel without a cause, together with some 50s ads. Then I found a couple of Elvis Album Covers from the 50s and collaged them in aswell. 



I decided to cut and paste Pepsi and a burger from one of the posters, to show that it was actually part of the life, even if i'm sure it wouldn't strictly have been hanging around on the floor. 
That was intended to be a bit of 'teenage' behaviour!

Finally, I replaced the shelving unit with a bit of wallpaper introducing some pattern, but not sure that this is an improvement, and with the brief in mind, to give a modern teenager an idea of what it was like in the 50s, I added some text.

All in all, I am quite pleased with the effect, and I managed to learn a few things about the computer and Adobe along the way!

Still not quite what I had in mind though..... oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment