Monday 28 February 2011

Abstract Illustration

This exercise was to create an abstract illustration.
I chose to work with a friend on a Miles Davis track, Freddie Freeloader.

We listened to the track a couple of times while we set up. Then I spread out a large roll of paper with the intention of keeping going with mark making for as long as the track, and then start working back into the piece. The track is repetitive with a strong jazz beat, and the theme is constantly returned to and elaborated on with improvisation.


After a while, I chose the adjective 'swirling' to describe the piece. I started to work back into the piece with shading different parts of the swirls. And taking my lead from the different improvisations. 
I then took the idea of swirling and tried to combine it with the colour 'blue' with a series of monoprint swirls which I then photographed and cropped down to a square format in the computer. 

Monoprint 1 - reductive and drawing through the back
I like the bluesy rough nature of the white lines on this contrasting with the finer dark blue swirls - I think that this would work well, it has an earthy texture which I think works well with the track.

Monoprint 2 - reductive 

This one has a more 'spacy' smoth feeling - a bit like a constellation.

Monoprint 3, drawing through the back
Monoprint 3 is again more earthy, has perhaps more of an 'improvisational' quality.

I then started to work back into the original, photographed it and cropped it. I like the delicate nature of these images, and the red and black seem to fit the texture of the music, but there is a 'blueness' which is missing!




So I decided to have a play with changing the colour, and I quite like the effect. It is a much cooler (colder) image, but smoother, it irons out some of the pen marks as well. I can see it on an album cover - especially as the album is actually called 'Something Blue'

frame 1

frame 2 

I am not sure which of these is the most succesful. It would be good to return to this exercise later on, I think I'll mull it for a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment