Thursday 1 March 2012

Editorial Illustration

The Range of Editorial work is quite astonishing. I looked at a range of magazines and newspapers and have selected a few different styles to share here.

There are a lot of simple line drawings around the magazines that I seem to read... some of which are very fluid and it's easy to see how they might be achieved under the stress of a deadline!! The work of Johanna Fernihaugh at http://www.jolio.co.uk/ who's work I saw in Style Magazine.




Others were more intricate and complex. These ranged from the decorative - e.g. fashion illustration of

Erin Petson who's I noticed in Vogue and Sunday Times
Art from erin petson // Kate With Flowers

 along with the elaborate typographical style of Si Scott
These are beautiful illustrations and very striking. However, being interested in ways that I can develop my Portraiture,  my eye was naturally for editorial illustrations which had a leaning towards this. There are an incredible amount of different styles: Howard McWilliam's Portraits are usually featured on the front of The Week and these are incredibly impressive:


Totally different is the work of cartoonist Steve Bell:
Steve Bell cartoon
Political Cartoonists who rely on Satirical takes on news stories have to suggest a mini story often within one image, and are either used as stand alone pieces or they are employed to dramatise or add another dimension to an editorial.


Other portraits for the 'lifestyle' sections are generally more illustrative of an article - they extract a little from the article to place within the image -  e.g Lyndon Hayes - who's work I have seen in the Observer and Guardian. I love the simplicity of his lines and the flat colour. Some of the more 'decorative' works also feature in these supplements.

I stumbled across the Caricatures of Tony Parsons
 
which seem to combine an 'attitude' with an impressive likeness... (it reminded me of the work of Dave McKean)

But I am still won over by the simple clarity of the work of Gerald Scarfe..







And Ronald Searle who's fantastic eye for detail texture, character, situation and dark humour are still hard to beat.
http://www.ronaldsearle.co.uk/  (I browsed through many of the Punch Cartoonihsts and illustrators who can be found on www.punchcartoons.com)

This caricature that I found of Steven Pinker particularly interested me with its dark tones and use of splatter - I thought that this might be a direction that I could go in...

No comments:

Post a Comment