Monday 5 March 2012

Packaging

The brief was to produce a series of illustrations for be used on a new range of organic biscuits for children. There are 3 varieties Raisin, choc chip and ginger biscuits. The illustrations are to feature extinct animals interacting with the biscuits in a fun way.

I went to the local supermarket and looked in my own cupboards. Many of the cereal packets and cookies have quite garishly coloured digital characters on them... but there aren't very many that look as appealing to an adult as the 'innocent' brand or some of the organic fair trade tea packets of 'Clipper'... I think it would be possible to appeal to both markets.

As usual I started in my Log book with a spider diagram. This helped me decide on the animals and possible colour schemes.

Choc Chip - Chocosaurus (Stegasaurus spines made of chocolate chips) browns and greens (organic - green)

Raisin - The Dodo - again greens and creams

ginger - sabre toothed tiger and cub - ginger colour and cream

I decided to go for children's interest and retro colours to feel 'home cooked', 'hand crafted', 'healthy and nutritious' - unfussy food for our kids.... colours to appeal to yummy mummies!

First the Dodo -  how would it look on a box?


'DoDo the Raisin Rock' popped into my head as a slogan and it festered there for a while. So did 'Raisins to be happy' with lots of bouncy dodos!!

Sabre Snaps (like Ginger Snaps) with a Sabre toothed cub pulling cookies off his mother's teeth seemed a good starting point for the Ginger Cookies.


And finally the chocosaurus choc chips - "Chomp and Chunky Chocosaurus Cookie" 



Being relatively happy with these, I moved on to trying to realise the Dodo packet as a mixed collage, with elements of drawing, paper collage and photo collage.




side 1

side 2... 
and the top....



I struggled to put it into a box shape - but finally worked it out.... 



Well I'm quite pleased with it, I like the look of it and I think it looks fun but healthy. It definitely appealed to my kids, loved it.... 4 weeks later they are still bouncing around saying 'DoDo the raisin rock', and suggesting what we could put in the recipe for the cookies... 


No comments:

Post a Comment