Monday 5 March 2012

Travel Guides - Helsinki


HELSINKI
Helsinki's highlights were whittled down to the following elements: The Northern Lights - ice bathing - skating - winter wonderland -the Grand Station, the Cave Church, Uspenski Cathedral, White Cathedral, Suomenlinna Fortress. This gave me a colour pallette of greens and blues to work with as well as the brick colours.


I wanted to use an element of the layout of the City and it's position on the sea so to tie them all together I played with the idea of a sort of 3D map idea was born.



But then I wondered if the idea of a snowflake crystal or a snowy window might give me a different kind of diagrammatic shape to work with.


Bit twee, so back to the original idea!!


This roughly places the most important buildings in their right places and gives an impression of the ribbons of streets from the sea to the sky.. Also the Sea Fortress is placed in the sea and the frankly insane ice divers are in place. I can put the northern lights in the background.
So I did a bigger ink version, scanned it and coloured it in the computer... I tried a different script for the City Break logo... and started to experiment with the colour scheme referred to earlier.


I then doubled up the Helsinki writing to make it bolder and so that it gives a better impression of being etched into the ice with the skates.


This colour scheme is the most 'realistic' - but it is quite subtle... 



This version has the 'coldest feeling' - I think I like this best... 
I would rather like to try this colour scheme in thick paint, although I quite like the flat colour. I like the composition though. Printed it looks clearer and the lines looks bolder, here it looks a little indistinct. Maybe I would have to make the lines bolder for it to print properly if this were really going to a client?




1 comment:

  1. The traveler, however virginal and enthusiastic, does not enjoy an unbroken ecstasy. He has periods of gloom, periods when he asks himself the object of all these exertions, and puts the question whether or not he is really experiencing pleasure. At such times he suspects that he is not seeing the right things, that the characteristics, the right aspects of these strange scenes are escaping him. He looks forward dully to the days of his holiday yet to pass, and wonders how he will dispose of them. He is disgusted because his money is not more, his command of the language so slight, and his capacity for enjoyment so limited. Flights to Dar Es Salaam

    ReplyDelete