Wednesday 30 March 2011

Assignment 3 - Jazz evening post 1

For this assignment I chose to continue the Jazz theme by creating a Poster for an Evening of Jazz.

I started with a Spider diagram.


And assembled some textures, using ink and resist swirls, different materials and colours and some reference material from the internet.


I can't credit these, but these early posters hark back to the golden age of Jazz and I thought about how I might use this idea but put a twist on it. 

So I went for the old sketch book and jotted down a few thumbnails.


I was torn between wanting to capture the spirit of improvisation and the idea of the blues. The thumbnails gave me the idea of using cool bluesy colours in the background and hotter colours for instruments/instrumentalists. I chose to work up the chopped up instruments idea, which was based on the idea that I had for the Miles Davis Abstract Exercise. 

Visual 1
I experimented with using notes to create the font. I quite like this, but the downside when I did the colour visual was that the image itself became rather constricted.


So having got this far, I hit a bit of a wall and decided come back to it later, but for the moment it seemed better to try other ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment